Saskatoon berry tarts
Saskatoon Berry filling:
- 4 cups Saskatoon Berries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
Butter Tart Filling:
1/3 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp cream
1 cup raisins, seedless
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening (lard) 1/4 cup water
Making the Saskatoon Berry Filling:
1. In a saucepan, mix together the berries and water and simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and flour.
3. Then add the sugar/flour mix to the berries and combine.
4. Simmer until the mixture slightly thickens.
5. Set aside to cool.
Making the Butter Tart Filling:
6. First beat together the eggs.
7. In a saucepan, melt the butter.
8. Then add the sugar, vanilla, cream, raisins and beaten eggs to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 3 minutes.
9. Set aside.
Making the Pie Crust:
10. Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
11. With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
12. Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Donâ t over mix or the crust will be tough.
13. Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
Putting the Tarts together:
14. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
15. Split the pie dough into 2 balls, then using a rolling pin, roll out each ball, doing one at a time (it's just easier to handle the dough this way).
16. Using a 3 inch circle (like a drinking glass, or cookie cutter), cut out your tart shells.
17. Place the tart shells into a mufﬁn tin.
18. Add a heaping tablespoon of the butter tart mixture into the shell, then add a tablespoon of the Saskatoon pie ﬁlling on top of the butter tart ﬁlling. Do NOT mix.
19. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.